How it Works
Coaching is about helping you create a vision of what can be, and taking the steps to make that vision a reality. It’s not about digging up your past (although we do look at the past). It’s about what you want to accomplish, and receiving the support to get it done.
Parent coaching is designed to take you step by step into becoming an effective parent who sees the bigger picture; who has the confidence to do what’s in your child’s long-term best interest (instead of what feels easier in the moment); who communicates with love and respect, especially in stressful times; and who teaches by example how to successfully do this thing called life.
Whether it’s normal (but aggravating) teenage behavior, or you feel your family is headed toward a cliff, your kids are too important to hope it will just get better on its own. Let me help you find solutions that work for your family.
We begin with a free, one-hour consultation to understand your greatest concerns and your deepest desires for your family. I’ll give you ‘Use Them Now’ strategies, and other resources or referrals, as needed.
If we’re a good fit for each other and you are ready to do this life-changing work, great! Here’s what it will look like.
We’ll delve into what makes you tick as a parent:
- the experiences, values and beliefs you bring from your own childhood
- your hot buttons (that your children instinctively know how to push)
- what keeps you up at night worrying about them
- the values you hope your children will live by
Sessions will also include:
- defining what you want to accomplish that day
- troubleshooting behaviors and situations as they occur
- learning/reviewing skills for communicating, listening, setting limits, encouraging cooperation and more
- techniques for responding calmly, and less emotionally
(Strong emotions can make a situation go from bad to worse.)
- setting an intention or goal for the week ahead
The ‘Accountability Factor’ is a very important component of the parent-coach relationship, and is a major difference between coaching and therapy. We’ll do a ‘week in review’:
- Were you able to use the skills you learned, and how effective were you? What needs to be tweaked?
- If you didn’t accomplish your goal, what got in the way? (There’s no judgment here, just a focus on helping you reach your goal.)
- Did some fears crop up and derail you?
- Did life just get in the way?
Families can be transformed when parents take the focus off what’s not working. With me as your coach and partner, you’ll focus on the possibilities and be supported in making them a reality in your family.
What you do NOW matters, so schedule your consultation today.